As we entered a new decade — 2020 — I decided to forego a long list of resolutions. I feared the list would be too long, and the enormity of what was required for achievement would render me immobile. There is nothing wrong with the desire for improvement, setting goals, forming new habits, and finally getting around to much-needed simplifying…
But I’ve discovered that the longer my list of resolutions, the quicker I seem to abandon it and give up entirely.
So this year I have decided to give all my attention to One Word instead. Every year I believe God gives me a word for focus, study, exploration, and incorporation into my life. Some of those words from recent years are Gratitude, Kindness, Dwell, Gifts, Steadfast, and Serenity.
This year my One Word is STRONG.
I am praying and taking steps to be strong in soul, body, mind, spirit, connections, serving, and love. I suspect the coming year will offer me far more than enough opportunities to stand strong in the face of discouragement, exhaustion, weakness, temptation to give up, suffering, and loss. But I absolutely know that in my weakness, God in me will render me strong.
Are you out of strong in your life? If so, I’d love to share with you some promises we can count on. If we choose to embrace God’s wisdom and biblical truth:
- Be strong through the grace God gives you in Christ Jesus. 2 Timothy 2.1
- This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1.9
- The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace. Psalm 29.11
- Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27.14
- He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Isaiah 40.29
- I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong. Romans 1.11
- Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16.13
- On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased. Psalm 138:1–3
- And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 1 Peter 5.10
- My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73.26
- But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. Psalm 59.15
I’ve spent this week in Texas with some of the most brilliant and strong women of God I am privileged to call my sisters. Our theme for all our prayers and activities all week has been “STRONGER THAN EVER!” And we are. In God’s power and provision.
Will you join me in standing up, lifting my warrior princess “sword” and moving forward into the unknown new year….
March on, my soul; be strong! Judges 5.21
under the mercy, Lucinda
copyright 2020 Lucinda Secrest McDowell
Pre-Order “SOUL STRONG” Today or Join Me at the Soul Strong Celebration & Mini-Retreat here in Connecticut on Saturday, February 8 (your $25 ticket includes lunch, worship, 2 presentations by me, and a signed copy of the brand new book.) Sorry! Just heard this event is Sold Out…
Check out the companion devotional book “Life-Giving Choices – 60 Days to What Matters Most” by Lucinda Secrest McDowell Order Today!