Welcome to my speaking page!
A few years ago, God helped me understand that my passion is “helping you choose a life of serenity and strength.” Serenity is that inner quality of peace that exudes because we have daily nourished our souls. Strength is the empowerment by God to do hard things and offer grace and mercy and hope to a broken world.
If you want a partner in learning how to Live Authentically and Love Extravagantly, I’m your gal….
“Every word You give me is a miracle word – how could I help but obey? Break open Your words, let the light shine out, let ordinary people see the meaning.” Psalm 119.129-130 MSG
Here Is What I Have to Offer You...
I’ve thought and prayed a lot lately about what I have to offer younger women, emerging leaders, seasoned saints, and aspiring writers and speakers. Why? Because whatever gifts and experiences God has given me, I want to literally wear them out before I go Home to glory! I don’t want to just dabble here and there, putting my foot in the water occasionally. I want to awaken each day and live in full force power the grace and mercy of a steadfast soul.
If there is a part I can contribute to your event, even a small one, I’d love to bring to the table:
1. Perspective – Yes, we live in a challenging culture – politically divided, too many groups feeling marginalized, scandals everywhere including the church – but friends, there have always been huge obstacles to living out faith in the world. I am someone who lived through desegregation in the South, friends in the Vietnam War, the Jesus Movement… I spent my college years going to meetings called “Women’s Consciousness Raising” with the hopes of being heard and valued as a woman. I have seen the good and the bad and God’s faithfulness through it all. Whatever we are facing today, I can assure you with confidence, God is here.
2. Prayer – Wherever I go, I am available to lay your name before the throne of grace – to take you to Jesus, even as those friends lowered their sick buddy through the roof to see Jesus. I am not a counselor, but I am a listener. And I strongly believe in the power of prayer. I will storm the gates of heaven on your behalf. And, if you have ever met me, you know that I will do it right away, while we are standing together or walking or working. I will sing over you with joy if you like. And God will hear.
3. Wisdom – I am so proud of the younger generation of women who are standing up and speaking out. Yes, it takes courage to do that today, but friends, some of us have been doing it for a lifetime. I was one of the few women who actually enrolled in seminary in the 1970’s in order to gain theological training, biblical foundation and hopefully more respect from the Christian community into which I was ministering. I forged a vocation that stretched me and those around me. I made mistakes and I learned from them. I immersed myself in the writings and the presence (whenever I could) of the godly leaders a generation above me. Honey, I know stuff. Stuff I learned the hard way but which stands firm. I am a wise older woman – not every time, but mostly.
4. Focus -- For me, what matters most are the essentials. When we have a conversation or you hear me speak or read something I wrote, you will notice the same themes emerging time after time. Grace. Mercy. Faithfulness. Story, Hope. Strength. People. Kindness, God. Soul Care. Because of simplifying just about everything in my life these days, I’m investing in that which is of ultimate importance. I don’t have time to fritter away on detours. And yes, I use technology with my message, but be warned – I do not live on social media. (though it may seem that way during new book launch seasons)
5. Voice – I am so grateful that God created me and called me to glorify Him through the “Lucinda version” of His Story. I am realizing more each day that while I am absolutely ordinary, my own unique voice is extraordinary. And I promise to speak, write and live ME – not a poor imitation of the most popular person who does what I do. And I’d love to help you get to know yourself -- sitting quietly enough to hear His Voice so that you can recognize your own.
6. Heart – Okay, let’s just get it out there --- I am an emotional person. I care deeply. I am all too aware that while I cannot carry the weight of the world, I most certainly would love to at least hug everyone in the world. I call this heart. Your joys and sorrows will touch a deep place within me and (hopefully) cause me to reach out with celebration and compassion.
7. Flair – If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing with flair. An extra touch shows we care, we are creative, and we want you to feel important. So why not spruce it up? Were you to come to my home for Tea I might serve bakery-bought treats, but Honey, they will be on fine china, with a fresh floral centerpiece and the tea leaves would have been steeped for exactly the right amount of time. Because I believe in the ministry of beauty, friendship and hospitality. I want to show with my life that it takes only a little bit more to make others feel cared for and special. Warning, I also dress with flair – why not?
SOUL STRONG – Choose What Matters Most
SERENITY & STRENGTH - a quiet weekend for renewal & restoration
DWELL – Abiding in God’s Presence
GRACE GIFTS – Finding God in the Ordinary
HOPE – Your Soul’s Anchor in a Stormy World
BREATHE ~ Making Space for God in Your Full Life
No Events on The List at This Time
What Others are Saying
Lucinda Secrest McDowell is a gifted communicator! Her messages provide the best combination of biblical truth, spiritual depth, anecdotal humor, and poignant application. I am always challenged, encouraged, and motivated to live a life that matters for eternity when I hear Lucinda speak. She connects at a heart level with her audiences on and off the platform. I highly recommend her as a speaker for your retreat, conference, leadership event, or retreat!
Author/Speaker and founder of “Speak Up Conference”
“Everyone I know longs to step up to new levels of trust and confidence in God, but how do we begin? My friend Lucinda McDowell helps us to new heights of spiritual intimacy– through life experiences, solid biblical lessons, and prayer. She is both convicting, yet comforting.”
Joni Eareckson Tada
Joni and Friends International Disability Center
“Words matter. And they don’t have to be many or long to do so. Lucinda Secrest McDowell selects key words of our faith and puts them in settings and stories that are truly encouraging and positive.”
Dr. Leighton Ford
A Life of Listening
“Live these words, pray these words, trust these words, but most importantly, read Lucinda’s words as part of your daily walk with our Lord.”
#1 New York Times Bestselling Author
“Most of us spend the majority of our waking hours exegeting the verbs to do, to want, and to have. We’ve filled our lives with incessant noise and activity but discover that our lives are actually rather unfulfilling and exhausting. Lucinda invites us to exegete the verb to be, with encouraging words that breathe the abundant life of Christ into our souls.”
Dr. Stephen A. Macchia
President of Leadership Transformations
“Lucinda Secrest McDowell conveys the strategic importance of looking for and finding God’s transformational grace in our everyday lives. Gently. Tenderly. Wonderfully. Indulge in the grace-filled truth she shares.”
Author of Forgiving My Father, Forgiving Myself
I would love to work with you on your next event and hope you will check out the samplers of conference/retreat themes as well as individual TOPICS. I'm happy to prepare presentations to fit your needs, theme, audience and schedule. So let's be in touch!